Watermelon Fresca is our number one selling juice during the summer. Our Georgia Grown watermelons make the sweetest tasting, most refreshing juices available anywhere. And just like all of the cold-pressed juices at Journey Juice, we do not add any water or sugar to our watermelon juice. We just add a splash of fresh squeezed lemon juice, which acts as a natural preservative. But did you know how nutritious watermelons are? Even though they are made out of more than 90 percent water, watermelons are a vegetable/fruit combo superfood.
Did You Know . . .
- Watermelons contain twice the potassium of a banana; But only half the sugar.
- Watermelons contain more lycopene than a tomato.
- Watermelons contain choline, magnesium, Vitamins A, C, and B6;
- Watermelons contain a healthy dose of Citrulline, which converts to L-arginine once digested, then to Nitric Oxide. Nitric Oxide is a vasodilator, which means it is great for your cardiovascular system. Not only does Citrulline help Nitric Oxide improve your blood pressure, in one study (Urology. 2011 Jan;77(1):119-22.), Citrulline supplements were given to patients suffering from mild erectile disfunction. The natural Citrulline was shown to be more than 80 percent as effective as Viagra, without the side effects.
- Watermelons contain anti-inflammatory antioxidants in addition to Lycopene, which work like COX-2 inhibitors like Ibuprofen, without the liver damage (http://www.albany.edu/faculty/cs812/bio366/Cyclooxygenase_ppt.pdf).
- Cold-pressed watermelon juice performed better than gatorade in tests on athletes’ recovery after workouts (http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/is-gatorade-bad-for-you).
Watermelons have been around since the ancient Egyptians grew them more than 5000 years ago. Every part of the watermelon is edible. In fact, the rind and seeds are even more nutritious than the juicy red meat though not as delicious. Sprouted watermelon seeds are one of our favorite healthy snacks. One ounce contains 11 grams of healthy fat, 10 grams of protein and no sugar. Compare those numbers to your favorite protein bar.
Remember in the summer heat, preventing dehydration begins long before your workout. If you are planning a big workout or run in the heat, proper preparation begins the night before. Don’t eat processed foods; don’t drink too much alcohol; get enough sleep; and drink a Journey Juice cold-pressed Watermelon Fresca. The next morning, in addition to plenty of water, drink another Watermelon Fresca one to two hours before your workout. You will be amazed at your performance in the heat.